Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Canada's Big Bee Quilts #bigquiltbee

So, it's 2017.  Canada turns 150 this year!  So many things happening to celebrate this country.  One that I'm participating in is the Canadian Quilter's Association Big Quilt Bee!  
 The Big Quilting Bee

CQA hosts national quilt shows across Canada, and this year the show is June 14-17 in Toronto.  And they are organizing the Big Quilt Bee, making quilts for Ronald McDonald houses across Canada.

Quilters can make just a block, or a top or completely finish quilts for this.  The details are all here ...

The blocks have to have one of the special fabrics created to celebrate Canada's 150th, and they're made in the style of Cheryl Arkison's "slab" blocks.

I have some blocks completely wonky, some from strip sets. Here's the fun I've been up to!  These are 3 blocks x 4 blocks.  They will finish at 36" x 48".

Sunday, January 8, 2017


The London Modern Quilt Guild is working on a group quilt celebrating Canada's 150th birthday. We are to create a mini quilt that will be put together with other members' quilts to make one nice big display.  

Here is my quiltlet ...

Mini Quilt
"Hudson's Bay Loon at the Lake"
12" x 24"

Does this remind you of the iconic Hudson's Bay blankets?  I quilted a loon swimming at the lake (digitized design from Intelligent Quilting, designed by Apricot Moon) with golden Glide thread. Single layer of warm and natural.  

As I was putting the binding on, with the matching background fabric (Moda Grunge, snow white I think), what my very strange mind went to, was how this fabric so beautifully reflects my local society - mostly various shades of white, with strokes of a whole bunch of different colours, to give the fabric a depth and beauty that the stark white simply could not achieve on its own. 

Friday, January 6, 2017

Baby blankets

My newfound quilty neighbour, as it turns out, travels around the world delivering compassion to some of the poorest people in the world.  We were at our local quilt shop looking for a few bits and pieces, and chatting about the baby quiltlets that I'm making for her to take on her next trip, and the very generous owner gifted her with fat quarters and yardage of flannel for this project.

She's a beginning quilter - just started sewing, and she was leaving within a few days so she asked if I'd take the flannel to get a quilt ready for the upcoming trip.

I added in some flannel I had used on other quilts, and ended up with seven quilts.  My husband is holding up the wee beauties.  Some were using HST's, using two FQ's and using the magic 8 method of making 8 HST's from one square (mark diagonals, sew 1/4" on each side of each diagonal, cut into eighths).

The others were using Anita Grossman Soloman "Supersized Nine Patch" method (  Here are some of the quiltlets!

Sunday, December 18, 2016

A Flimsy Day

Earlier in the week, finished up the December block from the Auriful Designer of the Month quilt-along.  These blocks are such a beautiful selection of blues, I really love it.  The stark white makes the intense blues sing.

I auditioned the blocks in an alternate grid layout, going for a modern look ...

And the blocks sang a different tune.  So back to the cutting board, whipping up these setting strips. They strips are white/blue/white (each 1" wide), with cornerstone nine-patches (also 1" strips).  And the flimsy is done!

There are 497 pieces in the blocks, 249 pieces in the setting strips/nine-patches, for a total of 746 pieces.  

 I had also tried to venture into some purples in the blocks - there are some purple shades in some of the batiks, making two blocks with purples.  They just didn't work with the rest.  They'll either make pillows or go on the back.

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Aurifil / Pat Sloan Designer of the Month - December

Today was the release day of the December Designer of the Month block - and it's gorgeous.  And its done!

Here is the block, designed by Amanda Herring, "Flower".  It's paper pieced.

December DOM block - Flower

All 12 blocks from 2016, on the design wall.  Next to figure out a setting for them.   Perhaps a nice alternate grid!!

2016 blocks on the design wall

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

150 Canadian Women Quilt-Along

So, I really wasn't going to do another wee block sampler.  But, you know.  This one has a wonderful twist.  Next Step Quilt Designs, a quilt store in Calgary Alberta, started a quilt-along to help celebrate Canada's 150th birthday in 2017. They are releasing three blocks each Tuesday for 50 weeks.  Each block also has a story about a Canadian woman.  How awesome is that!  

Red isn't a colour I've really collected much of over the years so I did have to backfill my stash with some yummy reds.  There are also a few lines of Canadiana fabric out there with some terrific images - inukshuks, maple leaves, polar bears, provincial flowers.

Here are the first five weeks of my blocks ...

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Tula Pink block progress

Still working away at the 6 1/2" blocks for this modern sampler.  

Block 63

Block 64

Block 65

Block 66

Block 67

Block 68

Block 69

Block 70

Block 71

Block 72