Anita's Quilt

Don's mom has been moved to a local nursing home.  It is an excellent facility with caring staff and we are so happy that it is available.  Traumatic but we know that she is receiving excellent care and she is already walking more, eating better and looking healthier.

She is an expert sewist and I've made a wee table topper for her in the past but hadn't made a bed or lap quilt for her.  I apparently was worried that my work wouldn't be good enough.  Decided - oh well, just do it!


The pattern is Kaye Wood's "Nebula"
So, I picked out fabrics with the help of my bestie and the owner of Country Patchworks just outside of Woodstock.  Normally I'm pretty good at coordinating fabrics, but the colours I wanted to do are outside of my comfort zone.  Trying to do colours that Anita would like - so picked the soft green/pink/chocolate colours that are in her house.  




Here is the progression of building the quilt ...

Large diamond arms
The background fabric is from The Marsh Store in Coldstream - auditioned lots of different options there - shot cotton, Kona cottons, pink, brown, gold.  In the end picked this lovely lightly patterened gold, along with a lovely wide backing.
One arm of large diamonds and small diamonds, auditioning golden background

More auditioning

All together - decided the dark tips need to be at the outer edges, the lighter tips are the inner points now

On the frame!  "Ghost" diamonds filling in the corners, with heart and feather flourishes.

Continuous curves on all the diamonds - with rulers on the large diamonds, and freehand on the small diamonds.

And a new ruler!  Ordered a delightful set of rulers from Jamie Wallen's 'Quilters Apothecary'.  LOVE them!

I knotted and buried every thread - even the short ones!  Love Renae's technique.  I use dental floss gizmo for this ... nice and sturdy, works really well!