Modern Quilt Guild Riley Blake Challenge Spring 2017


The Modern Quilt Guild is organizing the Riley Blake Rockstar Challenge this spring.  Sign up was last fall and fabric packs were delivered a bit ago.  Love the orange and blues together!

Just needed to make something quilted ... This wee wall hanging (17" x 19.5") is my result. 

Thinking about the "Rock Star" theme, I latched on to my all time favourite song, Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water".  It's also one I played with a passion when I played piano. I could likely still play that one if I cleared the trinkets off the piano.

One of the fun new learnings at the London Modern Guild this year, was how to do hexies.  I'm not normally a hand-piecer, but I am loving the possibilities and portability of working with hexies.  So the hexies transformed into the notes for this representation.  Dresden plate pieces became the bridge over the free-cut landscape.  

Finished with swirls in the 'troubled water' and the sky (representing the wind making the waters, troubled).

This was so fun to do!