Tuesday, May 30, 2017
Guys! Ohemgee! Look what arrived in my mailbox today!
Last year I participated in the Pat Sloan / Aurifil Designer of the Month quilt block quilt-along. Island Batik and Aurifil sponsored a survey about this DOM programme, tempting you with a possibility of winning one of two prize packages of fabric and thread. I won one of them!
They are so beautiful. A layer cake and a charm pack of Island Batik's luscious "Sweet Nectar", and a dozen spools of Aurifil's "Fifi and Fido" 50 wt thread. These will make some fine treats, I will enjoy using them! Thanks Aurifil (facebook.com/aurifil.quilt.thread/) and Island Batik (facebook.com/islandbatik/)
Here's a link to my 2016 blocks and flimsy.
Monday, May 29, 2017
This is such a fun piece!
I have seen this method a few times and wanted to give it a go. This is a really fast and fun quilt-as-you-go method. I decided to be very organic - no pins, no glue, just plop down the charms on the solid background, quilt across the row. I did nudge the edges where necessary so they didn't flip under.
Washed and crinkly with nice fuzzy edges of the charms, I just love this quilt!
Showed this at the London Modern Quilt Guild meeting, and they asked for a demo. Our December lesson was hatched.
For the two samples, I had random sizes and shapes in one, and the other design was in the shape of a tree.
Here are some of the inspiration that came together for this quilt ...
And from Cheryl Arkison's book – Sunday Morning Quilts, “The Original Ticker Tape”
|"New Directions" on display at the |
Chatham Kent Quilters Guild Quilt Show
There was a wee bit of show & tell at our Christmas gathering ...
This is "New Directions", a design by Janet Page Kessler, from the Benartex website. The original design is two columns of opposite chevrons.
This is one of the projects I took to the "Material Girls" retreat hosted by Sew Creative and The Marsh Store, in November 2016.
This quilt started in Phoenix in Feb 2016, when I found the funky fabric with the dots ... not my usual colourways but it spoke very loudly to me!
|Focus fabric - the green with blue, yellow, merlot dots|
I had also been learning about the effect of a "mud" background in modern quilting. This fabric does have a beautiful deep aqua/blue, bright yellow and this rich, deep, dark maroon / chocolate / mulberry / merlot, in a cactus green background. Not sure what colours they really are, but I liked the fabric!
It took quite a lot of cogitating and percolating to find companion fabrics, pulling in some Kaffe Fassett aboriginal dots in green and red. And to find a pattern!
Here are the beginnings on the design wall at the retreat.
And the "first" final layout ...
This layout, as in the pattern, is 48" x 72". Decided that it needed another row. Went on a hunt for more of the background material, but of course with no info on the selvedge that was impossible to match. Finally checked the project box, and discovered that I had already cut enough squares to do another row. What?? I don't remember doing that! Oh well. Came together quickly.
The quilting was simple u-turns - horizontal in the background, vertical in the chevrons. U-turns for new directions. Love wordplay acting out in quilts ;)
This was one of my quilts shown at the Chatham Kent Quilters' Guild Quilt Show, May 5-6, 2017.
It was a breezy chilly day with snow for this photo shoot in February ...
This wee quilt is for a Great Niece, from the pattern "Not Quite Squared" by Lisa Chen, from Fons & Porter.
Each of the squares had a fun design, from farm animals to guitars to swirls. Bright, happy colours.
The top photo is the finished quilt. The red/teal quilt was the first in this little series - I had not done a two-colour quilt and really liked how the bright red and deep teal work together. The illusions in the tessellated design of the houndstooth intrigue me.
|Show and tell at Christmas|
The red/teal is still in the 'to be quilted queue', My middlest helped design the black/white/grey/red design. And came with me to the fabric store! The white fabric is a beautiful, cotton satiny material with a nice sheen, and turned out to be a bit of a nightmare to work with. Needed lots of starch to stay in shape and frayed quite a bit. I was concerned too about that white fabric and how it would quilt up. But it turned out just fine. Sometimes, apparently, I fuss too much.
I even colour-matched the binding to the border colours, a new technique for mitering those corners.
|Checking the final design - it's all together|
|On the frame - outlined each houndstooth / cat|
Cut Up At the "Pieces of Magic" Quilt Show held by the Oxford Quilters' Guild this May, Sew Sisters' booth had a beaut...
So, I really wasn't going to do another wee block sampler. But, you know. This one has a wonderful twist. Next Step Quilt Designs , ...
One of the defining activities in my personal quilting journey, was a fabulous week at the St Clair Institute of the Arts session, led ...
Project 48 Quilt We've had so much rain and wind it has been a challenge to find a good time for photos. This is the finish of my ...